Planning application at Barnwell Pits by Barnwell Lake Cafe Ltd
17/1484/OUT | The erection of a cycle-themed cafe and shop along with associated infrastructure including car and cycle parking and new internal roads. | Land Adjacent To Barnwell Lake Newmarket Road Cambridge
Proposal is for outline permission for development of 0.7 hectares for retail and catering with parking and access roads, all matters reserved except access.
Deadline for public comments is 6 October. The planning application reference number is 17/1484/OUT
Following letter was sent by Chris to council on 26 March 2017, detailing directly contradictory evidence about bat surveys and habitats. None of the issues were ever addressed, including unmentioned limitations to coverage, why at least 11 potential bat roosts were not mentioned nor the presence of an identified maternity colony just north of the river nor inconsistencies in habitat mapping. Furthermore implementation of an existing management plan for Coldhams Common was claimed as an “offset” for habitat lost i.e. something that would have happened anyway.
Set up will be from Monday 24 July. Contact us if you have any problems or queries. Details below sent by City Council. Looking forward to our temporary guests.
Cambridge Folk Festival, 27 – 30 July 2017
I am writing to inform you that once again Coldham’s Common is to be used as a campsite for patrons of the Folk Festival.
Every effort will be made to ensure that any inconvenience to the residents during this period is kept to a minimum. The arrangements for the weekend are as follows:
1. Folk Festival patrons will arrive at the site from 10.00am on Thursday 27 July onwards. The site will be vacated on Monday 31 July.
2. A regular bus service will be provided running to and from the site to Cherry Hinton Hall.
3. The campsite will be stewarded throughout the weekend.
4. Should you experience any problems resulting from the camping arrangements on Coldham’s Common please do not hesitate to contact the Coldham’s Common site office on 01223 792521 or the Festival HQ at Cherry Hinton on 01223 792511 – operating from Thursday 27 July to Monday 31 July, 9.00am – 12.30am (2.00pm Monday).
There will be a children’s concert with The Fabularium Theatre Company – presenting ‘Reynard The Fox’ on Sunday 30 July between 11.30am and 12.30pm at the main site (Cherry Hinton Hall) (Doors open at 11.00am). Tickets are limited and available in advance to City residents from the City Centre Box Office and at the Cherry Hinton Hall site box office, subject to availability. They cost £4 for accompanying adults and £2 for children under 14 years old (children must be accompanied by an adult).
We are confident that this year’s Festival will continue its tradition of being a successful, trouble-free event. We would like to thank you and all local residents for your continued co-operation and support of the Festival.
If you have any queries, in advance of the Festival, please contact The Folk Festival Office on 01223 791784.
Folk Festival Operations Manager
The text below is the document sent to the Planning Inspectorate. We had to patch this together based on our best guess of what the council were saying. The documents are here : City Deal application for works on common May 2017
City Deal have applied for permission to dig up the main route across the common that runs between Coldhams Lane and Newmarket Road. We assume that it includes that :
- The track will be resurfaced and widened and therefore sections will be closed. This may or may not affect access to the Cambridge United grounds west and south stands.
- The underpass under the railway line will be closed for an unknown length of time to make the underpass deeper. This will prevent all access north of the railway line.
- The culvert across Coldhams Brook will be replaced with a cycle bridge and therefore closed for a time, but also will no longer be suitable for vehicle access. Trees will be felled here for construction.
- The exit onto Newmarket Road will be closed (?). No details.
- A much wider width will be cleared for construction and there may be compounds on the common
The footpath to Abbey Pool is not being resurfaced and is not included in the application.
There are no proposals for replacement land for any tarmaced over.
We are not clear how long or how much access across the common will be closed ( including to the football ground ). The planning permission for the works have not yet been determined, so the application appears premature.
City Deal have applied to the Secretary of State for permission to construct sections of the Chisholm Trail on Coldhams Common. The proposals are thin on detail and do not include a timetable. City Deal say 18 weeks, but we understand it will take longer. 18 weeks is the maximum that the Secretary of State can allow.
The documents are all attached here :
- Application form Application form S38 form_extended_oct16 v1 CL61 A
- Indicative alignment in relation to rights of way Definitive paths 5040130_HW_CCWC_101_B
- Example design for culvert replacement Culvert P_5040130_BR_GA_201_B_
- Example design for new footbridge New bridge P_5040130_BR_GA_500_C
- Example design for cattle grid Cattle grid p_5040130_hw_ccwc_106_a
- Existing structures Existing structures p_5040130_hw_ccwc_103_A
- Existing fencing on common Existing fences P_5040130_HW_CCWC_102_A